Our day wrapped up at Millennial Mega Mashup with our live Tween focus group. We learned some interesting things from this group of (super confident!) 8-12 year olds. For example:
Their interests were diverse: when describing their lives family, friends and pets were mentioned alongside sports and volunteering. Justice Clothing, Disney Channel and the World Wrestling Federation all got mentions as favorite brands.
Facebook is “boring:” one of the Tweens (who technically, is not old enough to use the service) dismisses it as just a place to look at pictures, she prefers twitter for interaction
Technology is a huge part of their lives: Every participant mentioned technology, from phones to DVD players to PSPs to iPads to iPods. If stuck on a desert island with 3 items, most of those items would be technology.
And yet… When asked to choose what one thing they would want the most for a birthday present objects (clothes, toys, a paintball gun) and experiences (a limo ride, a trip to Universal studios) won out.
Moms are cooler then dads. (but it’s only relative, Dads are just more “weird and embarrassing”)
Millennials want more adventures: when asked to reinvent an industry such as video games, vacations or TV multiple participants used this word. Be it experiencing it themselves or through entertainment, these kids are ready for an adventure.
The Millennial Mega Mashup, the leading event focused on Millennials (currently aged 8-30), was designed to future proof your business with a deeper understanding on purchasing behaviors, media consumption patterns, and current and future trends of the most powerful generation yet.
Top Reasons to Attend the Millennial Mega Mashup:
• Our Sixth Annual Conference focuses on Millennials, those aged 8 to 30, who control a massive spending power and are still forming their brand preferences and opinions. They’re an audience you can’t afford to ignore.
• The man who coined the term Millennial, Neil Howe, discusses how the Millennial generation is shaping the future of the United States.
• The Third GennY Awards Winner shares best practices of new and innovative techniques to connecting and communicating with Millennials.
• From the Mouths of Millennials… We’ve brought back our interactive Live Focus Groups, where you can meet tweens and teens, hear what they have to say, and ask your own specific questions.
• All-New Hispanic Millennial Intensive offers a full day on this important group, from “fusionistas” and bilingual influencers to Hispanic shoppers and cultural touchpoints.
• New to the Program! Trenz®Walk: Firmenich’s ‘Trenz Walking’ is a unique system to detect trends in their infancy (mostly 3-4 years before they globally manifest themselves). It allows not only to signal the new trends early, but business opportunities, from branding to product development to delivery. *limited to 30 people
• A Fully Customizable Program so you can focus on what matters most to your business. Choose between two breakout tracks to target your specific needs: Younger Millennials (8-17) and Older Millennials (18-30).
• Generation Innovation & Purposeful Connection. Keynotes from Nick Shore, SVP Strategic Consumer Insights & Research MTV, and Kate Robertson, Co-Founder of One Young World give a glimpse inside the mind of millennials and what drives them.
• From The Hunger Games… our all-star keynotes include the biggest names in youth media: Drake Doremus, Director of the movie Like Crazy, David Levithan, Editor of The Hunger Games, Channon Cook, Vice President of Strategic Insight & Research at Comedy Central, and much, much more.
• …To the X Games. Learn what matters most to Millennials and how to research this fickle group in case studies and presentations from ESPN, Macy’s, Coca-Cola, Smarty Pants, Nickelodeon, Westfield Malls, DoSomething.org and other brands.
• Network with Movers & Shakers in youth media and marketing. From brand leaders to marketing influencers to in-the-know researchers, you never know who you’ll be sitting next to at the Millennial Mega Mashup!
It’s an exciting time for marketers, researchers, insights directors and folks alike to explore this rising Millennial generation. As a reader of our tumblr, we’d like to offer you a 15% discount on the standard registration rate. Use code MASHUP12TUMBLR to save. Register today.
Join our communities to stay connected: